Friday, May 1, 2009

Avoca Day Two

(John Nicholls stone in Avoca Cemetary with a cedar tree planted on the grave)
After we got home from our trip, I looked at my notes on my computer and contacted several members of the Jefferson County Historical Society with some questions. I wish all of my family lines had web sites with such wonderful information. I had discovered that the cemetery I'd visited had several relatives in it after all. First, there were John and Cora Glanville Nicholls. (they are below the Glanvilles in the 1870 census above) They were in an area of the cemetery that I hadn't visited two days earlier.They were in an area enclosed with a small wall and a pipe along with their son John.

But, in that enclosure there appeared to be at least one more grave with no stone, but a cedar tree planted beside the son John's grave. After talking to Dave Halleman of the Historical Society, we believe that to be the grave of James Glanville.
The cemetery is not very large---Lepps were there in addition to other names who didn't really seem related: Cole, Weber, Kealla, Nicholls, Armbruster. Dave thinks it is really a community cemetery that should be known as just the Avoca Cemetery.

Dave also told me that Avoca was actually across the road from the cemetery. This area had over a thousand people at one time, but there isn't much there now---if you don't count the lake community.

No comments: