Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wicker's BBQ Recipe



Wicker's BBQ Sauce

1 1/4 cups Cider vinegar
1 tsp. black pepper
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Combine all ingredients and cook for 5-10
minutes to dissolve spices. Use as a marinade
and basting with your favorite BBQ recipe.


Way down in S.E. Missouri in Hornersville (in the "Bootheel"---the section that should have been Arkansas, probably), lived a man called "Peck" Wicker who was my grandfather's (Wes Wicker) first cousin. My grandfather enjoyed cooking, but his cousin had a BBQ stand for many years. When I went to college in Cape Girardeau, MO, I found out Peck Wicker's BBQ stand was very famous. Above is the recipe used at the BBQ stand---the sauce is sold through the Bootheel area (5 states) and occasionally we can find it in St.Louis (Restoration Hardware?) Click here for more information on Peck and Wicker's BBQ.

I'm posting this recipe because my brother called me a few weeks ago for it. "You're the family archives." Actually, it was easier finding it on-line than it was to go through the archives (AKA basement storage). But, I thought maybe we could post "family" recipes, too.

3 comments:

also from Jackson, MS said...

what brand of chili powder do you recommend? There are so many different ones.
Thank you,
Julia
sister_petra@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

All I can say is Thanks a million I'll us McCormick chili powder if I don't hear anything on it. Again Thanks

Unknown said...

It was a family tradition yearly to get a gallon of Peck Wickers BBQ from my husband's Granny. She actually knew Peck and kept the recipe a secret. She would make a huge batch and give each family a gallon. After Lily died it took me years to try to duplicate her sauce. I came close. And then I stumbled upon a bottle of Wickers at a little gourmet store!! Jackpot!! Now I see the recipe but...I think I will continue to purchase it from the original source! Gotta support that family memory.