Friday, January 23, 2009

Alice Alderson's letter to Isaac Henry Fry



This is a letter written by Alice Alderson to her future husband Isaac Henry Fry. According to some old notes they met at the Fayette Station. Her train was late and he offered to make her more comfortable by sharing. . . .sorry, I didn't finish that thought in my notes. (double click on letters to read them larger, then use the back arrow to come back to this page)

Alice was visiting her grandmother, Aletha Peters Jones (pictured below) near Fayetteville, West Virginia. According to my notes "Letha's" husband Levi had died in 1900.

According to the 1860 census, they lived near the "Cotton Hill" Post Office. Click here for a map. "Cotton Hill" is where the red star is. It isn't far from Hawk's Nest State Park.


I don't know who the aunt is mentioned. Mary C. Jones did have sisters according to the 1870 census, but their names were Nannie, Edna and Minnie. But, if Alice's grandmother "would hold up her hands in holy horror if she knew I played cards," her grandmother must have been constantly spinning in her grave knowing how much Alice loved to play bridge.I believe Alice's sister mentioned here was Ida Alderson Masters (below) who died in 1907 along with a baby. In 1902, she had a newborn Clifford and a two-year old William.

I don't know who cousin Lou is either. Click here for more information on the Cotton Hill depot.


One of the things I noticed when looking at some census reports was the Aldersons did usually have a domestic servant living with them. When Alice said ". . .and have no one to send," I suspect she meant that her grandmother didn't have domestic help.


1 comment:

Nochipra said...

Hi, Thank you so much for your info on the Morgans. I am a descendant of the original Abraham Morgan and his son Thomas. My line goes from Abraham, Thomas, Jonathan, Milton, Alexander Rice Morgan, to my gr. grandmother Octavia Jenora "Nora" Morgan whom I'm named after. If you would like to share info, you can contact me at wheely5@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Nora