Wednesday, December 27, 2017

McCarrell Bible

Dwight received a note from Margaret McCarrell who owned the Bible which helped us break through our brick wall of Margaret Carroll (Margaret McCarroll Graham).  Click here for information from that Bible.  Here are photos of that note and a transcription.

Hi Cousin

On 10/13/16 I donated the James McCarrell Bible to:  The E. Tenn. Historical Society located @ 601 Gay St. in downtown Knoxville---It's just blocks from Interstate 40. From I-40 follow Downtown/local traffic signs to downtown Knoxville---P.O. Box 1629 Knoxville, TN 37902 www.easttnhistorycenter.org 865-215-8824
[Steve Cotham accepted the Bible]

It's right across from the Tennessee Theater on Gay St.  They have the Bible Room in the basement.  In order to see it (along with all of the loose papers found in the Bible) call them before you arrive.  They are on the 3rd floor.  They will get the Bible, and it will be on the 3rd floor when you arrive.  I believe I did the right thing.  I took it out of the Bank's lock Box and carried it to the McClung Historical Collection on same day.

I copied those direction from I-40 from a pamphlet I read in 2009 " The East Tennessee History Center Bringing History to Life".  They have security at the door (When I got off the elevator on the 3rd floor--I have to put my pocketbook in a locked box---when you leave, you get your pocket book back)

They are open:  Mon Tues 9Am-8:30 PM   Wed-Fri 9 AM-5:30 PM  Sat. 9AM-5PM  Sun. 1-5PM

The first floor has a gift shop, the last street car that went down Gay St, Ellis and Ernest Drug Store that closed on Cumberland Ave. many years ago etc. 

Now, I don't worry about it. The front cover (made for me) reads:
McCarrell Bible
James McCarrell Sr. Bible
Edington: Printed by Mark and Charles Kerr. His Majesty's
Printers
MDCCLXXXIX (1789)
and loose papers from the Bible
The original Bible was donated to the McClung Historical Collection in 10/16. It is very fragile and the title page is missing pages with family entries and the loose pages were scanned.  A copy of all scans was placed in the McCarrell Genealogy vertical file in 2016.  Use these copies to make copies from.  (This is the front page to me)

Steve Cotham has been a friend a long time.  He had some info on the McCarrell Bible already on file.  And they copied all of the hand written minutes of our Mt. Olive Baptist Church.  I did alot of copying of records years ago for my brother Jack.  At that time, records were in the basement of our local library 4 or 5 blocks from Gay St.  This new building is attached to our Old Post Office Building.  TVA at one time was in this old Post Office Building.  This new building cost several millions in 2004.

Before they accepted the bible and made the above notes for me, Steve sad it was printed in 1782 in 10/9/16.  On 10/13/16 the notes say it is dated 1789. Steve said he couldn't believe the Bible still had the cover.

Margaret (over)

In 2009 I picked up this pamphlet "Bringing History to Live"  East Tennessee History Center (has no date).  I wish you had a copy and wonder if you could order one on the internet.  If not, I can make you a copy.  This center was founded in 1834.  This pamphlet has so much information----not very big----M




No comments: